"Stadtmuseum Purkersdorf" - "City Museum of Purkersdorf"
On October 26th 2006 the City Museum of Purkersdorf was opened to the public.
Founded in 1967 the museum has been located in the castle of Purkersdorf since 1986. After twenty years it had become necessary to renovate it.
The history of the museum itself, the life and works of the painter and sculpturer Horst Aschermann, comparative pictures of other villages called Purkersdorf/Burkersdorf in Austria, Germany and Poland and photographs and pictures of Purkersdorf in the last forty years are the themes of the first room which is also the entrance to the museum.
The second room is dedicated to the artist couple Josef Humplik and Hildegard Jone, who married in 1921. Humplik studied in Vienna and was the private teacher of Hildegard Jone.
They lived in Purkersdorf from 1934 until their deaths in 1958 and 1963. Hildegard Jone died in 1963 in the Sanatorium Purkersdorf, which was built by Josef Hoffmann.
The sculptures, especially the portraits of some famous Austrian artists and politicians, are well known.
In this room, Humplik\\'s sculptures of Josef Humplik, Hildegard Jone, Anton Webern. Ferdinand Ebner, Carl Moll and Georg Merkel are shown.
Hildegard Jone was also a poet. Her poems were used by Anton Webern for his compositions. All vocal works of Webern composed after 1933 are based on poems of Hildegard Jone.
She was a member of the International Webern Society in Seattle where the first international Webern Festival took place in 1962.
The exhibition focuses on the publications, the books and poems, unpublished works of Hildegard Jone, her paintings and the reception of Webern on an international level.
Visitors are invited to listen to the compositions opus 23 and opus 25 as examples of Jone\\'s and Webern\\'s artistic creativity.
The third room of the museum contains an exhibition showing the history of Purkersdorf.
The beginning of the small village in the Middle Ages along the postal route from Vienna to Germany and the growth of Purkersdorf after the building of the railway in 1858, the development of the council and the administration are the main topics.
Many famous people travelled through Purkersdorf from and to Vienna, including W. A. Mozart, Casanova, the pope Pius VI. and Napoleon I.
In 1529 and 1683 the Turkish army destroyed Purkersdorf. The French army was in Purkersdorf in 1805 and 1809.
Hitler and the Wehrmacht used the main road through Purkersdorf in March 1938, and in 1945 the Red Army started their attack against Vienna from the west. From April 5th to 7th, 1945, Purkersdorf became the front between the Soviets and the Germans.
One hundred years ago Purkersdorf was an important summer resort for the Viennese.
New houses were built and during the last century former farmland was converted into residential areas.
Eighty percent of the community\'s area are woods. Only a small part can be used for settlement.
The former cinema which was closed in 1969 is represented by the last programme and the old film machine (projector).